Saturday, September 09, 2006

Well, we attended our first class, "Adoption 101" from 9 am to around 4:30 pm today. We had to get up earlier than we do for work, so our day started early! We went to Dunkin Donuts on our way up to Evanston so we could fuel up on coffee and bagels...and that coffee was needed!!! We got to the Cradle a little after 8:30, just in time to catch the tour of the building, which had just started. We got to see pictures of the original building and staff and the original cradle that the babies were presented in when they met their new parents! VERY rickety! We also passed by the nursery where some babies stay in the time after birth and before placement, and oohed and aahed over the 5 babies in residence.

Then we went to the classroom. It was really full, we weren't sure where we would sit, but a nice couple waved us over to share their table. The morning class focused on a general overview of the adoption process, talking about some gains and losses that we may feel, openness in adoption and hearing from a birthmother and adoptive parents. The afternoon class touched on entitlement and attachment, becoming a multiracial family and which child would be right for us. It was a lot of information to think about and we've already chosen our program! I can't imagine processing all of that information without knowing which way you would go! The class was really helpful to Jeremy and I and we felt very secure in the choice we've made, and a renewed sense of comfort with The Cradle and their staff.

The only sucky part of the day was when I dumped a full cup of Diet Coke in my purse, down my front and onto my plate at lunch, because I am that klutzy. Geez. Everything in my purse had to be dried off as I had a good quarter inch of soda hanging out at the bottom, complete with 2 ice cubes. Why I am allowed out in public, I will never know.

Before we left, we got the email address and phone number of the couple we sat with, Ricardo and Denise, and we plan to meet up with them at our next class...on 9-14 :) We'll be moving along - sending in more paperwork, working steadily on our house, taking more classes and paying more money for the next few months, and looking forward to the time when we have our brand new baby.

I need some pictures for our profile, if you would like to be in our Family and Friends section, please email me your pictures!

No comments: