In adoption news, I must have forgotten to mention that our meeting with the Match Specialist was postponed due to some matching on her part and maybe something on our parts, but I can't remember what. So we actually met with her on Wednesday the 14th instead of the Fifth. It was a great meeting! I wasn't really sure what her role in the adoption would be, and neither of us was really sure why we were meeting with her at all, but she answered those questions and more during the meeting.
Apparently, the counselors used to do the match meetings as well as all of the counselor duties, which caused them to have to cancel a LOT of home visits and meetings because match meetings happen when they happen and babies come when they want to and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. So the agency decided to create a new position and hire someone who would only handle the match meetings, advocating for the adoptive parents. The birthparent counselors stay the same throughout the process, because it is very important for the birthparents to have continuity. We also found out about how the match meetings go, and how many there are usually, and what we should bring, who could potentially be there, etc. It was very informative! We've decided to put our profile online, which sometimes generates interest on its own.
Saturday was Jeremy's birthday (Happy birthday honey!) and it was also National Adoption Awareness Day (if you remember from last year, November is also Adoption Awareness Month), so it was a great day all around :)
We woke up early with presents, and then we went to Einstein Bagels so Jeremy could have his lox and bagel. Then he got to clean up the leaves in the yard! What a birthday treat that was. The real treat was going to Domo 77 for dinner. We both got filet mignon, I got scallops and Jeremy got shrimp. We had California rolls and Miso soup, and had a blast with the hibachi chef. It was really fun! The chef didn't flip anything into our mouths, which I was glad of...knowing my luck, it would have whipped me in the face and burned my eyebrow or something. I do NOT need burned up eyebrows at this stage in the game.
Sunday, I was able to meet a friend from an adoption forum I visit regularly online (Hi AT-ers!!)...we sat in Ruby Tuesday for four hours talking. The poor waiter was really good about letting us sit in peace, even after the check was paid and we were completely finished with lunch. I had SUCH a great time, I can't wait to hang out with her again!! What a cool experience! It is so wonderful to have support from family and friends, but sometimes it is really nice to talk with someone who knows just what you are going through.
Thanksgiving is coming up soon...start thinking about what you're thankful for!! I'm thankful for my wonderful husband who makes me laugh every day, my loving little dog who loves us both with every fiber of her little being, our families who fit together so well, and our friends - old and new who make our lives so much fun!
3 comments:
Meeting online friend IRL is GREAT fun! Glad you and Em had such a great time, hope to hear of you getting together again soon!
Happy Thanksgiving!
I can just picturing you and Em talking away at Ruby's..time probably went by so quickly!
It was SUCH fun hanging out at the Ruby Tues for FOUR hours with you! :) HUGS, friend!
Post a Comment