We went to the Helmet Dr. today...and her current helmet is only going to last her about another month because after that, there won't be enough foam inside to shave down for adjustments. The problem is that although her head has changed a GREAT deal, it isn't as symmetrical as I (and the Dr.) would like. Her ears are still off and there is still a flat spot on the back of her head. So today, the Dr. asked if I had thought about a second helmet, and I told her that I would be open to a second one because I can't see everything shaping up in the next month. I don't want to settle for "good enough"...as long as we're doing this, I want to have the best possible outcome and I don't want to stop before we're done.
So they took measurements and photos to send to the insurance company, and we found out that Edith is still under the line and should be covered...which is awesome! After we were done there, we went to see Jeremy at work to talk about the new developments...I told him that we should be covered, but what if we weren't? He said that if she needs a second helmet, we would be doing a second helmet whether we were covered or not, and that I shouldn't worry about it. I feel so much better now,
I just want her to be happy with herself when she's older! I know we all pick some arbitrary part of our bodies that we hate or wish were different...I don't want Edith to have something real to hate.
2 comments:
Praying that the insurance covers the second helmet. I am so happy that you and Jeremy are willing to pay the full amount even if it doesn't.
My niece's left ear never formed. My brother and his wife waited seven years to have the operations to have one formed from her ribs. Now she has her new ear and can wear her hair in pigtails etc...but they have chosen not to have the final operation to open up the ear. It breaks my heart because who knows how her life might be changed if only she could have this final surgery.
That is heartbreaking! I wouldn't be able to settle for "just OK", I want Edith to be as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside!! There is no way I am going to let her be the weird headed kid at school!!
Post a Comment