Ok, enough with the damn snow already! It looks really pretty, but I am tired of driving in it. I talked to a guy in Hawaii today for work, and he said they're wearing shorts. I had to keep myself from swearing. Lucy is having trouble going out for her potty breaks since she is up past her armpits (legpits?) in the snow...it's gotta be hard to do the ol' squat n' pee when you can't squat. Jeremy is going to go out and mash the snow down when he gets home from work. Only the best for our little dog :)
We had some interesting news from a friend of ours who is going through another agency. She told me that their agency had 5 African American birthmoms who were in various stages of late pregnancy, and no people to adopt the babies. Since she knows we are interested, she told me to check out what we would need to get on their waiting parents list. She said that she didn't think it would be a big deal, maybe an extra thousand (which in the big scheme of things is no big) for program fees. It turned out to be a much bigger deal than either of us imagined. Basically, we would have had to take a few steps back and jump through a few hoops...something Jeremy and I have no desire to do.
The issue that makes me really angry is that the agency doesn't work with other agencies - if there is no one to adopt a child and the birthmom signs the Termination of Parental Rights (TPR), the baby goes into interim care...basically foster care through the agency. This could lead to attachment disorders for the baby, because it would have attached to the birthmom, then the foster family, and then would be expected to attach to adoptive parents. In a world where the rights of the child are supposed to be first and foremost and money is supposed to be last on the list, it sure seems like the opposite. It seems to me that if there are relinquished babies needing placements, and home study ready parents needing placements, that money and red tape shouldn't stand in the way of those babies and those parents becoming families. It sure angries up the blood!
Jeremy and I discussed it last night and decided that we would talk to our counselor and see if they know about this situation, and why the agencies don't work together...it would make me really sad if our agency (which has a stellar reputation in the adoption world) made use of the same practices.
4 comments:
OH I LOVE the snow! All of our's has melted, so now I see green grass again. Except today we had an ice storm, so it's frozen grass.
The whole agency can't work together for the good of the child thing gets me!
You know I'm thinking of you, and have been in a similar situation with the frustration about the "hoops"...
I'm sick of the snow, too...not sure I'm ready for shorts (ever), but I'd take a sunny 70!
Jay and I were just talking this morning about how we wish we were in Maui, HI and eating breakfast at the kehie cafe...I am so ready for the warm weather.
Very frustrating with the agency not willing to co-work with yours to get these babies parents! It should be about the child!
Oh, I can so totally relate to being sick and tired of the snow. We just got a foot of snow over the past 2 days and I am DONE!
I am disgusted with the idea of sweet, innocent babies going into interim care until a family is available to adopt them simply because they won't work with another agency. Money seems to be the motivating factor for many agencies and that is so wrong.
I hope you learn that your agency does NOT do the same practices. That would be disheartening.
Post a Comment